Twenty Montana participants -- approximately 10-12 professionals and 8-10 students -- will be
selected to travel to El Salvador from July 15-23, 2018, to
participate in a basketball exchange with Salvadoran youth and adults. All expenses are paid for by the U.S. Department of State via a grant to the Mansfield Center. This eight-day
exchange will use basketball as a medium to engage at-risk youth and adult
sports mentors. The focus of activities will be on leadership and teamwork in order to build resilience and life skills. This exchange is part of a larger effort to encourage at-risk youth to stay in school
and build pathways to economic security.
Montana participants will then host 22 youth and adult participants from Central America (El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras) in April 2019. Montana participants will be expected to lead particular sessions and activities focused on basketball and youth development during this 13-day exchange.
Professionals Participant Selection Criteria:
- U.S. citizen
- Montana resident
- Proficiency in basketball is not essential. We are seeking those with a willingness to participate in an exchange using basketball as a medium with the following background. Therefore, criteria includes one of the following key elements: experience playing basketball as a hobby OR using sport to work with youth OR experience in coaching
or participating in basketball and other sports
- Have significant engagement in
youth: though coaching, teaching, mentoring, counseling, etc.
- Interest in assisting youth to
become productive and responsible members of society
- Ability to enthusiastically support
teenage participants and adult peers
- Flexibility, adaptability, and
- Interest in international affairs
and cultural exchange
- Strong leadership, teamwork, and
- Plans to remain in position of
influence on young leaders (professional or volunteer)
Desired Professionals Participant Traits:
Applications are due April 9, 2018.
- Background in coaching or sports training,
specifically in basketball. Please note that not all adult participants will have basketball experience, but should be able and willing to learn to engage in basketball drills and activity.
- Demonstrated international engagement experience (actual travel, supporting international visitors to the US, language study, etc)
- Experience working with at-risk
- Knowledge of youth development
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Spanish language skills or study